From Simon Pepping <spepp...@leverkruid.eu>
Subject Re: Status report for August 2009
Date Sun, 09 Aug 2009 08:58:07 GMT
On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 11:00:48PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> On 07.08.2009 22:09:01 Simon Pepping wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 09:59:42PM +0200, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > >
> > > Other interesting statistics:
> > ... snip ...
> > Thanks for the links.
> >
> > > Generally, the (updated) report sounds fine.
> > >
> > > One thing that concerns me a bit is the growing patch queue in Batik and
> > > FOP.
> > >
> > ... snip ...
> > >
> > > Good patches that don't get processed will drive potential committers
> > > away at some point. And patches can go out of date. But I still have no
> > > recipe to get our project more active. I've been trying to recruit FOP
> > > users to participate in the development ever since I went independent,
> > > with only little success. Some people are often happier to pay for a
> > > little extension or fix (which made a good part of my income in the last
> > > few years) than to dive in themselves and take more control. And most
> > > simply expect others to work for them for free. And then there's the
> > > problem that spare fun time to do things not work/client-related is
> > > usually very limited. Sigh.
> >
> > I agree. Do you want this concern included in the report? I prefer to
> > give a realistic view of the project's position. Therefore at some
> > point such concerns need to be expressed. Is that already in this
> > report?
>
> I guess it is. Probably just me venting frustration. The board knows
> since the forming of the XML Graphics project that Batik has not many
> active people. It has 3 active committers. That's been the same since
> 2005 although the activity has quieted down in the last 3-4 months. I
> just fear a serious problem for Batik if one of the three went away. FOP
> has 7 active committers in 2009 so is in a more comfortable position.
> Maybe you can add those numbers just to have stated that once in a while.
> After all, the board members change, too. OTOH, if the board sees that
> some activity is happening and oversight is there, they have no problem
> with us.

It is something we should be aware of ourselves. Let us include in
this report a reflection on the long-term situation, with the above
concerns about the patch queues and the number of active
committers. It is good to include such considerations at least once a
year. If Jeremias or someone else does not do it earlier, I will give
it a try Monday evening.

> Still, the general problem is the same for the whole project: so many
> users, so few contributors. We just have to make sure we don't forget to
> turn recurring contributors into committers.

I noted two more active contributors on the FOP list, and one very
active contributor on the Batik list.

Simon

--
Simon Pepping