From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] XGC 1.5 and FOP 1.1 Releases
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2012 13:40:16 GMT
On 08/10/2012 13:52, Glenn Adams wrote:

Hi Glenn,
> On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Jeremias Maerki <dev@jeremias-maerki.ch>wrote:
>
>> I don't think these changes constitute substantive changes. They do not
>> add new functionality or otherwise create a significant risk for
>> instability. They are merely bugfixes. The major motivation for fixing
>> these IMO is in making everyone's life easier: Users will download FOP
>> 1.1 and run into font auto-detection problems and others will have to
>> help them.

Thanks for preparing the release. I have downloaded it and run a basic
FO and all appears to be working ok.

I concur with your understanding that we were only planning to fix low
risk critical bugs between 1.1rc and 1.1 final. To my recollection the
only bug I am aware of being fixed was in the pdf-plugin to make it
compatible with 1.1. We probably need to release the plug-in too soon
after FOP and XGC.

> It's a matter of degree. It is substantive in the sense that it is a code
> change [1]. It is also true that it is a very trivial change, and one that
> I'm completely fine with making at this stage.

I'm ok with bringing in bug fixes to 1.1 final if they are critical and
low risk. It just a shame this was bought up so late in the release process.

> Is this change sufficient to address your concerns about the usability of
> 1.1? Do you also believe that a reversion to a change on Glyphs.MAC_GLYPH_NAMES
> is necessary? If so, could you provide a minimal patch that makes what you
> believe is needed?
>
> If others do not object, then I could apply [1] and this additional patch
> and upload a new set of images.

It's fine with me if you think it is critical and low risk. Otherwise it
should probably wait until the next major release.

Thanks,

Chris