From Chris Bowditch <bowditch_ch...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: XML Graphics Project Forrest=>CMS migration
Date Fri, 19 Oct 2012 13:15:45 GMT
On 19/10/2012 13:56, The Web Maestro wrote:

>> After reseting my browser cache the scrollbar is now working in most pages,
>> but it still appears broken for compliance!
> Heh... yeah... That's because FOP's /compliance.html (and Batik's
> /demo.html) are hand-coded, and didn't receive the fix I deployed for
> the rest of the site (switch from DOCTYPE html 4.01 => html5). I've
> fixed that for the FOP Compliance & Batik, but we'll have to remember
> to cfix that for *all* hand-coded pages...
>
> Batik's Demo works in Windows Firefox, but I couldn't figure out how
> to make it work in IE9, since the Demo applet is unsigned...

Thanks for explaining. I think we will have to think about how to solve
these remaining issues after the CMS Website goes live.

>> Thanks Clay. Since the 1.1 release is expected this weekend I propose
>> planning the move to CMS after that. I need help from the team to define
>> exactly what we need to do. I could only come up with 3 steps since I'm not
>> close to the technical details!
> This looks like a good plan...
>
>> 1. Merge in content from 1.1 release. Mehdi will tackle this next week.
> I can take care of the *new* files in the 1.1 directory, but I'll need
> help merging the changed files, and adding any new files in the old
> places...

Thanks for the offer. Mehdi will let you know if he needs your help. I
would imagine it would make sense if one person took care of it, but I'm
sure Mehdi will yell if he needs help.

>> 2. Technical stuff to do the switch (Clay can you expand on what we need to
>> do)? Do I have a volunteer for this?
> Not too much technical about it (if I handle the *new* files in the
> 1.1 dir... ;-). Just figure out which files changed between
> 20120201-201211.
>
> Also, if there are new files outside of the 1.1 DEV dir, send them to
> me, so I can take care of those as well...

That's great news.

>> 3. Team to fix outstanding minor issues, such as IE9 scrollbar. This will be
>> done on a ongoing basis rather than to a fixed deadline.
> IE9 scrollbar is fixed for all of the site's dynamic pages, plus FOP
> Compliance & Batik Demo. I don't think there are any other hand-coded
> pages, but they would require the same fix, although the CMS now
> generates html5, so it should be easier...
>
> I think I'm going to keep ye olde src/xdocs around for a few months,
> in case we want them for some purpose (I can't think of any off-hand,
> but who knows!)

yes theres no harm to keep them just in case we forgot to move some
content over.

>> I don't think we should have a formal vote to accept the website in its new
>> form since the reason for the change is a mandate from the board and the PMC
>> can't go against that. Folks have had plenty of opportunites to review the
>> new website by now and although there are still some outstanding minor
>> issues we are forced to fix them later by the looming board enforced
>> deadline.
> Sounds good!
>
> We'll be good to go in no time!

Thanks Clay. Once Mehdi has a handle on the merge of the 1.1 changes I
would like to agree a date. For now I'll suggest a tentative switchover
date of 2nd November, which is 2 weeks from today. Does anyone see an
issue with that?

Thanks,

Chris