From Clay Leeds <the.webmaes...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: documentation!???
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2013 00:10:21 GMT
On Feb 10, 2013, at 1:03 PM, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Clay Leeds <the.webmaestro@gmail.com>wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I've eradicated Forrest-based documentation from FOP. Now we need to
>> ensure that FOP builds properly.
>>
>> BTW, I also need to do the same for Batik and XML Graphics Commons, but I
>> thought I'd wait until other folks had a chance to ensure I didn't munge
>> stuff!
>>
>> As for getting documentation into their respective project sources, I'm
>> thinking of one of the following:
>>
>> 1. svn hook to copy the MarkDown docs *to* their respective location
>> *from* the current 'ASF-CMS' (vice ;-)
>> 2. svn hook to copy the MarkDown docs *to* the current 'ASF-CMS' *from*
>> their respective location (versa ;-)
>>
>> I suspect the desired approach would be #2, but the ASF-CMS system is
>> geared toward editing the docs in ASF-CMS, which would make #1 easier.
>>
>> Another possibility would be to somehow create a system to copy the
>> rendered HTML output to the repo…
>>
>> Thoughts? Preferences?
>>

> My preference is #2, i.e., to keep the doc sources in the same repositories
> as their non-doc sources.

Figures that would be the preference… ;-)

I suspect Option #1 be easiest to maintain (and implement). I imagine it working this way:

a. Edit the files/pages directly from within the CMS as is currently the case
     * no change to current web site/documentation editing on the ASF-CMS
b. commit the change to see it in STAGING
     * an SVN hook would need to be created, which copies site changes to the appropriate
local repository (FOP, Batik or Commons)
c. Check your changes on Staging
d. publish the site to see the changes on PRODUCTION

Migrating to Option #2 would mean modifying how ASF-CMS works, and we wouldn't be able to
edit using the ASF-CMS user-interface.

> I have to wonder what other projects are doing
> about this?

From what I can tell, most of the others are either Top-Level Projects (TLPs like Apache XML
Project, which hosts retired projects Crimson & Xindice and which gave birth to XML Graphics,
and from whence Xerces & Xalan were born), or they're still using a combination of Forrest
and/or Maven[2] (e.g., Apache Web Services Project).

[1] Apache XML Project
http://xml.apache.org

[2]
http://ws.apache.org