ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Nate Cole <nc...@apache.org>
Subject New JIRA - Commit messages
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2018 23:37:40 GMT
All,

Previous to the fork/pull request framework, we used to use commit message variations like
so:

“AMBARI-XXXXXX. Great change for stack (ncole)”           (for committers)

or

“AMBARI-XXXXXX. Great change for stack (Joe Smith via ncole)”       (for contributors)

Commits have started abandoning this syntax.

While I agree that the new workflow makes it clear the committer vs the author, it was useful
to search just commit messages and pair them with the author.

I would propose we keep the “(username)” practice with commit message

since we don’t always use github for viewing history.  Contributors can use something like:

“(Joe Smith via pull request)” or just “(Joe Smith)”

Thoughts?

-Nate