ambari-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hurley <jhur...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Ambari trunk Snapshot Versioning
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2018 20:10:12 GMT
It looks like Ambari’s trunk pom.xml has not been updated with a proper version in at least
4 years. It currently still lists trunk as 2.0.0.0-SNAPSHOT:
https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/trunk/pom.xml#L24

This poses several problems as we try to make our artifacts more 3rd-party friendly since
it becomes ambiguous what other maven projects are actually depending on. I think that we
need to change our process to keep this version updated with every release of Ambari. Other
Apache projects seem to do this (I took a look at Nifi, Hive, Storm, etc) and in each case,
their trunk pom.xml was at least a minor version ahead of their most recent release branch.

I see three avenues for us here:

  1.  We can make trunk the next “known” version of Ambari. This gives us relatively fine
grain control over snapshot artifact versioning, but also opens us up to problems when surprise
versions show up. For example, up until a few weeks ago, trunk would have been 3.0.0.0-SNAPSHOT,
however now that we have a 2.8 release off of trunk, we’d need to change this to 2.8.0.0-SNAPSHOT.
  2.  We can make trunk the next major version, so that it would currently be 3.0.0.0-SNAPSHOT.
After 3.0 is released, then it would move to 4.0.0.0-SNAPSHOT even though we know that there
are interim minor releases coming out (like 3.1, 3.2, etc)
  3.  We can abandon numbering for trunk and use something like TRUNK-SNAPSHOT. This also
poses some ambiguity problems since you actually don’t know from which point in time the
snapshot is really from. There’s also a problem with our regex parsing of the version if
we switch away from the 4-digit scheme we have now.

I’d like to get some opinions on this topic. I personally think that #2 makes the most sense.