aries-dev mailing list archives

From zoe slattery <zoe.slatt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aries web site
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:07:57 GMT
Hi Jeremy
> It would certainly be nice to make the process in
> 'maintainingthewebpages.html' quicker / easier.
>
> I just took a look at the cms stuff, only briefly mind, so I may have
> missed something. It seems it is a view on the web site files checked
> into SVN. So this might be useful for changing our CSS page, but not
> when we change the content in confluence. Or were you thinking of
> moving off Confluence?
Yes - you've missed something :-) The web site content is in SVN - which
is great because it means that all the things that we'd like to do like
putting the TCK results on the web site automatically become easy. When
the web site is in cms there is a beautifully simple way to edit pages,
commit the changes, stage and publish.

This does move us completely away from Confluence and the need to have
separate IDs to maintain the web pages. But support for Confluence will
go, so we we have to move sometime.
> Given that the Aries Incubator status page is a single xml file and
> the Incubator web site can be modified in cms, I thought I'd give cms
> a go. After logging in with my Apache ID I was able to edit aries.xml
> in my web browser. I couldn't find a way of building the site though.
> When you checkout the source for the web site you make your changes to
> the xml, run ant and check in both the xml and the built html. It
> wasn't clear to me how I could drive this process of building the site
> before committing the changes (via cms) into SVN. Also, I have
> questions about the potential storage of my Apache ID's password in
> the cms application (which presumably it would need in order to do the
> SVN commit when I click the commit link).
You won't be able to edit the site till we move it into cms - that's the
JIRA that I said needed to be raised.
> When I did click the 'commit' link and entered a comment for the
> commit I got this error:
>
> RA layer request failed: Commit failed (details follow):: Server sent
> unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response to MKACTIVITY
> request for '/repos/asf/!svn/act/e95f17b0-1be8-df11-bbbc-001d0968836a'
> at /usr/local/cms/webgui/lib/ASF/CMS/Wc/Commit.pm line 67
>
> So, for me, at the moment there are more questions than answers.
I think the answers would be more obvious if you could see the editing
capabilities. I guess I could do a camtasia and make it available - it's
really hard to explain in email. I think I want to get the Aries content
into cms - there is no risk in this (unless you are planning massive
updates to the web site?) then I can write some instructions which
people can run through.

We just also talked about having a Wiki for the projects that are moving
to share best practices. I will put that up on the Apache Wiki in a day
or so.

Zoe