aries-dev mailing list archives

From Alasdair Nottingham <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: jpa blueprint ns handler question
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2010 21:05:37 GMT

Alasdair

On 5 Nov 2010, at 20:16, Jarek Gawor <jgawor@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 6:08 AM, Timothy Ward <timothyjward@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> To clarify, the aim when designing this function was to make consuming persistence
units and contexts as simple as possible - hence trying to make sure that it could be expressed
as a single element.

>> The primary injection mechanism people use is by setters, which in blueprint would
be something like:

>> <property name="foo" ref="bar"/>
>>
>> In order to get JPA to be similarly concise, and to avoid breaking the existing validation
requirements of Blueprint, we came up with the <unit/> and <context/> tags, which
contain the information from an @PersistenceContext and @PersistenceUnit annotation.

>> The decision was made that:
>>
>> <property name="emf" type="javax.persistence.EntityManagerFactory">
>>   <jpa:unit unitname="myUnit"/>
>> </property>
>>
>> was significantly less usable than:
>>
>> <jpa:unit property="emf" unitname="myUnit"/>
>
> I disagree. To me the following is much clearer:
>
> <property name="emf">
>  <jpa:unit unitname="myUnit">
> </property>
>
> And this syntax is consistent with rest of the blueprint syntax, i.e.
> how you would inject a bean as a property or argument. The <jpa:unit/>
> and <jpa:context/> provide a specific object just like a <bean/> or
> <reference/>, etc. and should be handled in the same way, IMHO.

It depends on what you consider jpa:context is doing. I you think it defines a bean that is
an entity manager then I understand your point, if you consider it the equivalent of @PersistenceContext
then I think the scheme as is makes sense.

My view has always been that it is the equivalent of the @PersistenceContext annotation, so
I like the scheme as is, and it makes sense and is clear.

Alasdair