aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <hugh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Aries web site
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:11:57 GMT
On 3 November 2010 20:47, zoe slattery <zoe.slattery@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/11/2010 19:11, Alasdair Nottingham wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know more about the benefits of moving. Plus I think
>> the next step would be a vote on whether we want to move, rather than
>> raising the JIRA, but that is just anal semantics.
>
> Support for the Confluence solution will go, so the question is rather
> *when* we move, not *whether* we move.
>>
>> Any chance you could point to info on this new CMS so I could take a look?
>
> Try here: http://www.apache.org/dev/infra-site.html - but it's more about
> mechanics than advantages.
> If you want to understand the advantages probably the best thing is to look
> at the instructions that I wrote for the Aries Wiki/Web update
> http://incubator.apache.org/aries/maintainingthewebpages.html, then
> understand that Joe took me through a website update from start to finish in
> less than 10 minutes - and that included explaining the process :-) No waits
> of several hours wondering whether things have worked or not. By the way - I
> think we can get our content checked in to the new system so that people
> could experiment while the current system stays in place - I'll make sure
> that that is the case.

It would certainly be nice to make the process in
'maintainingthewebpages.html' quicker / easier.

I just took a look at the cms stuff, only briefly mind, so I may have
missed something. It seems it is a view on the web site files checked
into SVN. So this might be useful for changing our CSS page, but not
when we change the content in confluence. Or were you thinking of
moving off Confluence?

Given that the Aries Incubator status page is a single xml file and
the Incubator web site can be modified in cms, I thought I'd give cms
a go. After logging in with my Apache ID I was able to edit aries.xml
in my web browser. I couldn't find a way of building the site though.
When you checkout the source for the web site you make your changes to
the xml, run ant and check in both the xml and the built html. It
wasn't clear to me how I could drive this process of building the site
before committing the changes (via cms) into SVN. Also, I have
questions about the potential storage of my Apache ID's password in
the cms application (which presumably it would need in order to do the
SVN commit when I click the commit link).

When I did click the 'commit' link and entered a comment for the
commit I got this error:

RA layer request failed: Commit failed (details follow):: Server sent
unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response to MKACTIVITY
request for '/repos/asf/!svn/act/e95f17b0-1be8-df11-bbbc-001d0968836a'
at /usr/local/cms/webgui/lib/ASF/CMS/Wc/Commit.pm line 67

So, for me, at the moment there are more questions than answers.