aries-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hughes <hugh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Aries web site
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 22:17:16 GMT
On 4 November 2010 21:07, zoe slattery <zoe.slattery@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jeremy
>>
>> It would certainly be nice to make the process in
>> 'maintainingthewebpages.html' quicker / easier.
>>
>> I just took a look at the cms stuff, only briefly mind, so I may have
>> missed something. It seems it is a view on the web site files checked
>> into SVN. So this might be useful for changing our CSS page, but not
>> when we change the content in confluence. Or were you thinking of
>> moving off Confluence?
>
> Yes - you've missed something :-) The web site content is in SVN - which is
> great because it means that all the things that we'd like to do like putting
> the TCK results on the web site automatically become easy. When the web site
> is in cms there is a beautifully simple way to edit pages, commit the
> changes, stage and publish.
>
> This does move us completely away from Confluence and the need to have
> separate IDs to maintain the web pages. But support for Confluence will go,
> so we we have to move sometime.
>>
>> Given that the Aries Incubator status page is a single xml file and
>> the Incubator web site can be modified in cms, I thought I'd give cms
>> a go. After logging in with my Apache ID I was able to edit aries.xml
>> in my web browser. I couldn't find a way of building the site though.
>> When you checkout the source for the web site you make your changes to
>> the xml, run ant and check in both the xml and the built html. It
>> wasn't clear to me how I could drive this process of building the site
>> before committing the changes (via cms) into SVN. Also, I have
>> questions about the potential storage of my Apache ID's password in
>> the cms application (which presumably it would need in order to do the
>> SVN commit when I click the commit link).
>
> You won't be able to edit the site till we move it into cms - that's the
> JIRA that I said needed to be raised.

I wasn't trying to change the Aries site on incubator.apache.org/aries
... I was trying to change incubator.apache.org/projects/aries.html
(the source is aries.xml in SVN). The project that page is a part of
is in the main Incubator web site space in SVN and I do have commit
privs to that. Despite that, I got the error below. It uses Forest -
which generates html from xml and AFAIK there aren't any wysiwyg tools
for that. What authoring tools are available for a site where the
pages are checked into SVN? What would be interesting is to get an
idea of is what other projects are going to be doing given that
confluence is going to go. Sounds like cms is part of the solution,
but the only authoring capability seemed to be text edit of files in
SVN.

>> When I did click the 'commit' link and entered a comment for the
>> commit I got this error:
>>
>> RA layer request failed: Commit failed (details follow):: Server sent
>> unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response to MKACTIVITY
>> request for '/repos/asf/!svn/act/e95f17b0-1be8-df11-bbbc-001d0968836a'
>> at /usr/local/cms/webgui/lib/ASF/CMS/Wc/Commit.pm line 67
>>
>> So, for me, at the moment there are more questions than answers.
>
> I think the answers would be more obvious if you could see the editing
> capabilities. I guess I could do a camtasia and make it available - it's
> really hard to explain in email. I think I want to get the Aries content
> into cms - there is no risk in this (unless you are planning massive updates
> to the web site?) then I can write some instructions which people can run
> through.

Great idea.

> We just also talked about having a Wiki for the projects that are moving to
> share best practices. I will put that up on the Apache Wiki in a day or so.

Cool. I'm all for finding a better way to author / publish the website
- having project doc in SVN means we can release it along with the
code as well as host it on the web site. It's just that the cms light
bulb hasn't switched on for me yet.