aries-dev mailing list archives

From Alasdair Nottingham <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Another weaving problem?
Date Fri, 03 Jun 2011 18:55:35 GMT

Alasdair Nottingham

dev list or in comments to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OWB-579

>>> :)

problems with the final synthetic methods, there's an excessively naive check for proxyability
that just looks at all declared methods and checks they aren't final.  Based on this example,
I think there may be a  lot of existing code with similar errors that works fine in most situations
but will not work with aries.

>>> I'm worried about this, also.
>>>
>>> IIUC, complexity has been added to detect the classes so that we can make these
methods 'final' -- not for semantic understanding, but in the hopes of improved JIT behavior.
As you note, there is the potential that this will cause incompatibilities/problems with other
libraries.

>> I think Richard gave other reasons as to why these methods should be
>> marked final. So it isn't just around performance.
>
> Richard gave a reason for why someone might want to make a method final. I don't think
he was saying anything specific (one way or another) about *these* specific methods.

I think he meant to. Although at this point we need him to come back and clarify.