aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Modifications to Aries release process
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 15:12:04 GMT
OK, so the release manager doesn't have a problem, but if we update trunk to use the under-vote
1.0.0 versions anyone else is going to need to either build the under-vote artifacts or add
the staging repo while the vote is going on.

At one point we talked about having profiles, one for the earliest usable dependency versions
and one for the latest snapshots.  I even tried it somewhere and it seemed to work.  Would
that solve this problem?  Even if the default profile was for the earliest, under-vote, 1.0.0
artifacts it's not too hard to specify a profile to get the build to work while the vote is
happening.

thanks
david jencks

On Jul 6, 2012, at 10:51 AM, Guillaume Nodet wrote:

> Holy, there's *no* extra-step for the release manager, you don't have to
> change your settings.xml or whatever.  It's just less work.
> It will even be easier for users because at the end of the release process,
> everything will be consistent in a snapshot version in trunk.
>
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM, Holly Cummins <
> holly.k.cummins@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I don't understand the problem.  I thought Guillaume was suggesting that
>> you put a lot of released artifacts, built by the rm (you) in the same
>> nexus staging repo.  Since you just built API-1.0.0 on your build machine,
>> it will be in your local maven repo, and you can continue to build all the
>> other stuff that needs it on your repo.  No one else can get the 1.0.0
>> artifacts from a remote maven  repo until you close the staging repo, but
>> they can also build the 1.0.0 artifacts themselves, just like you did (they
>> won't have to change the versions, since the relevant code will already be
>> in a svn tag from running the release plugin).
>>>
>>> Once you close the staging repo, people can add it to their local nexus
>> or settings.xml and fetch the under-vote 1.0.0 artifacts without building
>> them themselves.
>>>
>>> What am I missing?
>>
>> Those extra steps, to either adjust settings.xml, or check out a tag
>> and build it, seem non-ideal to me. I'd argue a build should just
>> work, or that any extra steps (like adjusting settings.xml) should be
>> 'one-off', rather than constantly variable. It means when someone
>> wants to do a release, it creates a bit of inconvenience for everyone
>> else, which - imo - tends to drag us back to a 'release only when
>> absolutely necessary' model. After all, no one wants to be the person
>> who breaks the build, even if there are workarounds ...
>>
>> We'd also need to add pre-build steps to Jenkins to populate the
>> repositories on the build machines, again increasing the complexity
>> and fragility of the automated build.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Holly
>>>
>>> thanks