aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <holly.k.cumm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Aries util and blueprint.api 1.0.0 release candidates
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 17:35:09 GMT
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> The only way I can see to make this work is to copy the util-r42
>> source into the util project as a pre-compile step, so that the
>> util-r42 project is only there to check things compile.
>
> That would break the r42 stuff which needs to be compiled against a 4.2 framework (without
generics) so it will work against a 4.2 framework.  If we could compile everything against
a 4.3 framework we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place :-)

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure if the r42 stuff needed to be
*able* to compile against a 4.2 framework, or needed to actually *be*
compiled against 4.2. Luckily, I had pretty much no enthusiasm for
implementing my proposed solution. :)

[snip]

> It's possible to do some magic with the shade plugin to glue all the sources together,
but I'm not enthusiastic about figuring out how to make it work reliably.  I guess the real
solution (long term) is to fix the maven-bundle-plugin to create source jars containing the
sources for the classes it puts in the main bundle.

I had a play with the shade plugin but I didn't get very far before
trying to find another solution. :)

> I'm ok with the current situation, so even adding a better javadoc jar would be fine
too.

I think I now have the better javadoc being built, and so what we have
is that the contents of the javadoc jar lines up with the
user-consumable util bundle, whereas the source zips mirror what's in
svn. This seems relatively neat to me, so I'll respin the release.

Cheers,
Holly