aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <holly.k.cumm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Aries util and blueprint.api 1.0.0 release candidates
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 18:04:07 GMT
Hi David,

I think there are two relatively independent issues. One is how we
name the util folder - should it be util, for consistency with the
bundle symbolic name, or util-bundle, to make it clear it's an
aggregator?

The other issue is the group id of the various util artefacts. It
looks like the group id was forgotten from the util pom, because it's
the only bundle we have whose group id is org.apache.aries rather than
org.apache.aries.somecomponent. So I think we do need to change the
group id of the bundle, just to bring it in line with our conventions
for 'normal' bundles.

Overriding the deploy to ensure the parent or r42 bundles aren't
inadvertently consumed is a good idea. I think that and the comments
on the util poms would be sufficient to ensure that it's clear that
the util bundle is produced by aggregating util and util-r42.

Holly

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 6:39 PM, David Jencks <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
> WRT util, I disagree.  There's only one real output bundle from the util goo, org.apache.aries:org.apache.aries.util.
 The util-42 and util-parent are goo necessary (AFAICT) to build against 2 osgi framework
levels but neither one should be released.  If we do anything it should be to override the
deploy plugin in the util-parent and util-42 modules to skip deploy.  I don't see a need to
change the groupId or artifactId of the util bundle.

> util is completely different from blueprint where the "bundle" artifact contains a lot
of stuff all of which is intended to also be available separately.  The util-42 artifact is
compoletely useless by itself and should not be released.