aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <holly.k.cumm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Modifications to Aries release process
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 13:51:46 GMT
Oh yes, I agree, that's the third approach, and it has a lot of
advantages in terms of the stability of trunk. The disadvantage of
that approach is that it doesn't seem to play well with the git
mirroring. It also seems really wrong to me that we'd have to release
mainline code from a branch, but that's just my personal feeling.
There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach, and I don't
think any of them are totally clean or totally simple, unfortunately.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 2:31 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> branch and do all the release work in that branch.
> That way, people are not impacted by the releases in progress.
>
> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Holly Cummins <
> holly.k.cummins@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Re-opening a slightly old conversation, just to ensure we have a
>> record of the advantages and disadvantages of each approach to
>> releasing groups of bundles. (I'm also updating the 'Releasing Aries'
>> web page with the pros and cons of each way of doing it.)
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I think you made a wrong assumption which is that the staging repo has
>> > to be backed by a single svn revision (which is btw not really the
>> > case because it comes from several tags anyway).
>> > What I'd suggest is doing the api bundles release and have them
>> > uploaded to nexus, then upgrade the implementations  and all other
>> > components to use those releases, commit,  release those other
>> > projects, THEN, close the staging repo and call for a vote.
>> > So we'd have a single staging repo / vote with a set of testable bundles
>> in it.
>>
>> This approach will break trunk unless we do an extra step.
>>
>> Say we release an API bundle, at version 1.0.0. The release plugin
>> will change the version of the API bundle in trunk to be
>> 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT. Normally, you'd just upgrade everything to depend on
>> 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT of the API bundle (and if we weren't doing release by
>> bundle, the release plugin would automatically update the dependencies
>> for us). However, it's important that things which depend on the API
>> bundle continue depending on 1.0.0, unless there's a good reason to
>> change (like they use a new method). Otherwise, we lose a lot of the
>> benefits of semantic versioning. Why? If we add a new method to the
>> API, the package version changes to 1.1, and anything compiling
>> against 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT won't resolve against 1.0.0, even if it would
>> actually *work* fine against 1.0.0. In order to avoid restricting our
>> modularity, we need to depend on 1.0.0 unless the 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT
>> methods are actually being used.
>>
>> So, continuing the example, in trunk, as part of the release, we've
>> switched to depending on 1.0.0 of the API. This compiles in the tagged
>> release, as long as bundles are compiled in a specific order. In
>> trunk, it won't compile at all, because nothing in trunk is building
>> API-1.0.0, and version 1.0.0 isn't in a maven repository yet. Instead,
>> trunk is building 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT. So to patch trunk up, we need to add
>> an extra step in which we switch back to depending on 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT,
>> and then a second extra step once the release is promoted, to depend
>> on 1.0.0.
>>
>> I think this is sensible to do occasionally, but it's error prone and
>> makes more work for the release manager. Obviously, the big advantage
>> of it is that the release gets voted through over a period of a few
>> days, rather than a month or two, for a big release. :)

That
>> makes
>> that
>> were