aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <holly.k.cumm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries partial application, blueprint, transaction, ejb, jmx, jpa and jndi odds and sods, and one or two uber-bundles release
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2012 05:58:55 GMT
Darn. :(

Thank you for checking the manifests so thoroughly. Comments inline.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Timothy Ward <timothyjward@apache.org> wrote:

> Transaction blueprint has no import version for org.osgi.service.cm - Also I don't think
it needs this import at all.

I wonder why someone bothered to add it manually, if it wasn't needed?
I've had a look and I can't see any references to it in the code, and
as far as I can see it's not a special 'import this to indicate
something' package.

> Blueprint sample, sample annotation, sample fragment and the two test bundles have no
export versions for their blueprint sample packages (this may not be a deal-breaker)

I think these are really test bundles, rather than sample bundles,
despite the name, so I think the versioning is a nice to have at most.
It's a tricky call because if they're sample bundles we should display
best practices, but for test bundles I think ease of maintenance is
the most important thing, so for test bundles I'm not sure it would
even be worth adding versions in for trunk. I think I will opt to
release the current version-less bundles, though, whatever we do in
trunk.

> Ejb modeller exports its modelling package at 0.1.0 and imports at 0.1 to 1

Doh, I wonder how that one escaped all my 1.0.0 grepping? Clearly a
must-fix, and thank goodness you caught it, since otherwise a fix
would have broken consumers.

> Jmx blueprint exports org.apache.aries.jmx.blueprint.codec with no version. It also imports
slf4j with no version and most of its other package imports have no upper bound.

This is another one where it means jmx.blueprint.core escaped with
missing versions on its export. Looks like there's no package info in
that codec package. However, I've just checked and its imports are
fine. I suspect this may be a build issue where bnd is somehow not
able to work out import versions in the uber-bundles, which may not be
totally trivial to fix. I'll see if I can work out where it's going
wrong.

> Proxy bundle has no versions on its imports for org.slf4j or org.osgi.util.tracker (proxy
impl is fine)

As above, it's good news that proxy impl is fine, and clearly there's
a build issue which needs fixing.

> In my view transaction, ejb, Jmx and proxy need fixes to their packaging before they
can go out, but everything else looks good and
> I'm happy to +1 it. I won't stand in the way of the sample bundles being released as
is, although it is a pretty bad example to set.

I'll delete transaction blueprint, ejb-modeller, jmx-blueprint, and
proxy from the release repo and remove the tags, and I'll respin just
those bundles as a separate release. I suggest we think of the sample
bundles as test code and release.

> Sorry to derail your gargantuan task (again). We all really appreciate the massive effort
you are making with all of it.

Luckily it's just four bundles to respin. :)

> Tim
>
>> From: holly.k.cummins@googlemail.com
>> To: dev@aries.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries partial application, blueprint, transaction, ejb,
jmx, jpa and jndi odds and sods, and one or two uber-bundles release