aries-dev mailing list archives

From Holly Cummins <holly.k.cumm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries partial application, blueprint, transaction, ejb, jmx, jpa and jndi odds and sods, and one or two uber-bundles release
Date Sat, 28 Jul 2012 22:39:59 GMT
Thanks everyone for your votes and comments. The vote has been running
for 72 hours, and has now - mostly - passed.
Here are the results:

[+1] 3 There are 3 binding votes from PMC members (David Bosschaert,
Emily Jiang, Guillaume Nodet).
[0] 0
[-1] 0

Tim Ward pointed out issues with some of the bundles, so I have
withdrawn the transaction.blueprint, ejb.modeller,jmx.blueprint
uber-bundle, and proxy uber-bundles from the release.

I'll promote the approved bundles to maven repositories and the Apache download
site. I won't update links on the Aries download page yet,
since we're not quite at a complete functional set yet (but we're really close!)

Cheers,
Holly

On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 6:58 AM, Holly Cummins
<holly.k.cummins@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Darn. :(
>
> Thank you for checking the manifests so thoroughly. Comments inline.
>
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Timothy Ward <timothyjward@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Transaction blueprint has no import version for org.osgi.service.cm - Also I don't
think it needs this import at all.

> I wonder why someone bothered to add it manually, if it wasn't needed?
> I've had a look and I can't see any references to it in the code, and
> as far as I can see it's not a special 'import this to indicate
> something' package.
>
>> Blueprint sample, sample annotation, sample fragment and the two test bundles have
no export versions for their blueprint sample packages (this may not be a deal-breaker)

> I think these are really test bundles, rather than sample bundles,
> despite the name, so I think the versioning is a nice to have at most.
> It's a tricky call because if they're sample bundles we should display
> best practices, but for test bundles I think ease of maintenance is
> the most important thing, so for test bundles I'm not sure it would
> even be worth adding versions in for trunk. I think I will opt to
> release the current version-less bundles, though, whatever we do in
> trunk.
>

>> Ejb modeller exports its modelling package at 0.1.0 and imports at 0.1 to 1
>
> Doh, I wonder how that one escaped all my 1.0.0 grepping? Clearly a
> must-fix, and thank goodness you caught it, since otherwise a fix
> would have broken consumers.
>
>> Jmx blueprint exports org.apache.aries.jmx.blueprint.codec with no version. It also
imports slf4j with no version and most of its other package imports have no upper bound.

> This is another one where it means jmx.blueprint.core escaped with
> missing versions on its export. Looks like there's no package info in
> that codec package. However, I've just checked and its imports are
> fine. I suspect this may be a build issue where bnd is somehow not
> able to work out import versions in the uber-bundles, which may not be
> totally trivial to fix. I'll see if I can work out where it's going
> wrong.
>
>> Proxy bundle has no versions on its imports for org.slf4j or org.osgi.util.tracker
(proxy impl is fine)

> As above, it's good news that proxy impl is fine, and clearly there's
> a build issue which needs fixing.
>
>> In my view transaction, ejb, Jmx and proxy need fixes to their packaging before they
can go out, but everything else looks good and
>> I'm happy to +1 it. I won't stand in the way of the sample bundles being released
as is, although it is a pretty bad example to set.

> I'll delete transaction blueprint, ejb-modeller, jmx-blueprint, and
> proxy from the release repo and remove the tags, and I'll respin just
> those bundles as a separate release. I suggest we think of the sample
> bundles as test code and release.
>
>> Sorry to derail your gargantuan task (again). We all really appreciate the massive
effort you are making with all of it.

> Luckily it's just four bundles to respin. :)
>

>> Tim
>>
>>> From: holly.k.cummins@googlemail.com
>>> To: dev@aries.apache.org
>>> Subject: Re: [VOTE] Apache Aries partial application, blueprint, transaction,
ejb, jmx, jpa and jndi odds and sods, and one or two uber-bundles release