aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Bosschaert <david.bosscha...@gmail.com>
Subject Planning to do an Aries Subsystems release soon
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2015 20:18:22 GMT
Hi all,

As the OSGi R6 Subsystems implementation is now merged into trunk I
was thinking of doing a subsystems release soon, possibly later this
week.

Previously we released the following artifacts:
  subsystem-api
  subsystem-core
  subsystem-obr
  subsystem-bundle

I don't think it makes sense to release subsystem-obr as OBR now
implements the Repository spec so this proprietary integration is not
needed any more. I would actually propose to remove this bundle.

On the subsystem-bundle (artifact ID org.apache.aries.subsystem). Does
anybody actually use this? It seems like this is the same as
subsystem-core and subsystem-api merged. I don't think there is a need
for this bundle, so I would propose to remove it too.

Final topic is the version number. Exported packages use semantic
versioning, no question about that but how will we version the
released bundles?
a) subsystem-api 1.2.0 and subsystem-core 1.3.0?
b) subsystem-api 2.0.0 and subsystem-core 2.0.0?

I guess b) is more in line with the recent discussion about bulk
releasing components?

Cheers,

David