aries-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Utzig <jutzig....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aries RSA - support for long running calls
Date Mon, 25 Jul 2016 14:37:49 GMT
Hi Tim,

please see answer below...

> This is already part of the specification. The plugin interface is called
> RemoteServiceAdmin, and it has been widely adopted. Some projects like ECF
> and Aries have created lower level Plug points, but that shouldn't be a
> requirement for all RSA providers as it forces them to be bigger and more
> complex.

I can accept that answer, but do not fully agree with it. Of course I know
RemoteServiceAdmin, but most implementations I have seen split the
responsibilities into a RemoteServiceAdmin and a pluggable transport layer.
The different transport layers can be agnostic of the RSA implementation so
all the aries-rsa transports could easily work in ECF as well, the only
reason why that doesn't work is the lack of a standard interface to make a
transport known to the RSA.
When I started working on the 'fastbin' transport of aries-rsa I've also
been in contact with Scott Lewis from ECF, and with his help made the same
transport available in ECF. 99% of the code can be shared, but the entry
points need to be rewritten to work with either ECF, or aries-rsa.
Having an interface like this in the spec would allow the user to e.g. use
the RSA of ECF, the topology manager from aries-rsa and the transport layer
of CXF.