aries-dev mailing list archives

From Johannes Utzig <jutzig....@gmail.com>
Subject Aries RSA - support for long running calls
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:00:58 GMT
Hi,

as a quick introduction, my name is Johannes Utzig and I work for the
SEEBURGER AG.
We have been involved with aries-rsa since the beginning and maintain a
fork of it on github. We are primarily interested in the fastbin transport
and I usually try to create pull requests for enhancements/fixes we're
doing that might be useful to have upstream.

I am currently working on adding support for long running remote calls
(several minutes/hours) to fastbin.
If possible, I would like to contribute that feature upstream if there is
an interest for it.
The idea is to allow Future and CompletableFuture as return values of
remote methods.
If such a return value is detected, the invocation strategy switches to
async and the client receives an implementation of (Completable)Future that
will be filled as soon as the call result becomes available.

Example Provider:

        public CompletableFuture<String> helloAsync() {
            return CompletableFuture.supplyAsync(() -> "Hello");
        }

Example Consumer:

      exampleService.helloAsync().get(5, TimeUnit.MINUTES));

A few questions about that:

-Does someone maybe have a better idea on how to support long running/async
calls?

-would you be interested in that contribution?

-My implementation requires java 8 features like CompletableFuture but rsa
is currently building with 1.7. Would it be OK to move to java 8 as a
target version?

Best regards,
Johannes