aries-dev mailing list archives

From Timothee Maret <tma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Goals, Requirements and API for journaled events
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2019 01:05:10 GMT
Hi,

I looked at the API considering how we could use it for our replication use
case. I identified one key concept that seemed to be missing, the indexing
of messages with monotonically increasing offsets.

For replication, we leverage those offsets extensively, for instance to
efficiently compute sub ranges of messages, to skip range of messages, to
delay processing of messages, to clean up resources, etc. If we want to
leverage the journaled event API to guarantee portability, it seems to me
that we'd need to have the offset or an equivalent construct part of the
API.

How about adding a "getOffset" signature and documenting the offset
requirement in the Position interface ?

Another unclear intention to me in the API, is the support for partitions
(similar to Kafka). The documentation indicates it is not a goal, however
the API seems to contain some hints for multi-partition support such as the
"TopicPosition" interface. How about supporting multiple partitions in the
API by allowing to specify a key (with a semantic similar to Kafka) in the
"newMessage" signature ?

+1 with moving the "positionToString" in the Position interface. It'll
avoid casting the Position instances in the implementations.

+1 with Dominik suggestion to pass a DTO to subscribe method.

Regards,

Timothee