aries-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Goals, Requirements and API for journaled events
Date Wed, 02 Jan 2019 07:30:59 GMT
Am Mi., 2. Jan. 2019 um 02:05 Uhr schrieb Timothee Maret <tmaret@apache.org
>:

> Hi,
>
> I looked at the API considering how we could use it for our replication use
> case. I identified one key concept that seemed to be missing, the indexing
> of messages with monotonically increasing offsets.
>
> For replication, we leverage those offsets extensively, for instance to
> efficiently compute sub ranges of messages, to skip range of messages, to
> delay processing of messages, to clean up resources, etc. If we want to
> leverage the journaled event API to guarantee portability, it seems to me
> that we'd need to have the offset or an equivalent construct part of the
> API.
>
> How about adding a "getOffset" signature and documenting the offset
> requirement in the Position interface ?

I just started implementing the in memory impl of the API and also used an
offset.
For the cases I know an offset makes sense. Alexei and I were just unsure
if the offset
is really a general abstraction. If we all agree an offset makes sense then
I am in favour of adding it.
Actually in the case of no partitions (wich we currently assume) the
position is not more than an offset.

> Another unclear intention to me in the API, is the support for partitions
> (similar to Kafka). The documentation indicates it is not a goal, however
> the API seems to contain some hints for multi-partition support such as the
> "TopicPosition" interface. How about supporting multiple partitions in the
> API by allowing to specify a key (with a semantic similar to Kafka) in the
> "newMessage" signature ?

I removed the TopicPosition interface again a few days ago. It was not part
of the API Alexei and I discussed and makes no
sense when we limit ourself to no partitions (or 1 partition in case of
kafka).
So the main question is if limiting ourselves is a good idea. I think it is
but I would be very interested in other opinions.

Cheers
Christian

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de