aries-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: The project website
Date Sat, 22 Aug 2020 00:11:22 GMT
A couple more comments on playbooks…

Since IIUC we’re planning to add docs for all the more recent subprojects that each live
in their own repo, to those repos, the “production” playbook can’t prefer one over the
others and be in a content repo.

However, we can easily provide a “preview” playbook in each repo for building just the
content in that repo, to check local  changes in more detail than in the IntelliJIDEA asciidoctor
plugin.

David Jencks

> On Aug 21, 2020, at 3:18 PM, David Jencks <david.a.jencks@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Here are the repos and why they should be separate:
>
> aries-antora-site.  This contains the content migrated from CMS.  It might be possible
to migrate all of these into the repos that have the related source code, but I don’t think
that’s really appropriate for stuff about the community, board reports, etc.  In any case
that’s a step for after the new web site is working.  Generally this is what you’d modify
when working on documentation improvements.

> aries-antora. This contains the playbook.  Antora works without a checked out copy of
the source .adocs, but the playbook does need to be checked out.  Therefore this needs to
be a separate project.  It’s possible to put this in with the sources, but it’s a bad
idea IMO.  Generally this is going to be modified only when a new subproject is added to the
documentation, or, if we decide on versioned documentation for some components, possibly when
a new version is published (although most likely this can be handled by wildcards).

> aries-antora-ui.  The content here is almost all MPL2.0 licensed.  I checked on legal
discuss, and the consensus was that it was fine to have such content in an Apache repo as
long as it never becomes part of a release.  In order to make the licensing more obvious,
I think it’s imperative to keep this in a separate repo that we can prominently label “don’t
release anything from this repo”.  I think few people are going to work on this, and as
it will change infrequently we’d save some build time and automation complexity by keeping
it separate.

> aries-site-pub.  This currently contains the CMS site history, and is going to be where
the new build process commits the site to publish it.  No one should be modifying it by hand.

<

>>> we

|  Blog <
>>>>>>>>

>>> https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/java-ee-8-high-performance