buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: VOTE: 1.3.2 Gem release to resolve Hoe dependency problem
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2008 19:34:00 GMT
On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 5:19 AM, Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:22 PM, Matthieu Riou wrote:
>>
>> Now with my PMC hat on, I'd *really* like the documentation to make very
>> clear that what's published on Rubyforge isn't in any way endorsed by
>> Apache
>> and is only community driven. We should have a disclaimer explaining why
>> we
>> do this (emergency Rubygems conf related releases) and how people can
>> install making sure you only get the Apache releases.
>>

> It seems to me, with my PMC hat on as well, that we appear to
> be playing fast and loose with "releases", following the regular
> ASF process when it's convenient and finding alternate ways around
> it when not... this is NOT a good precedent.

I think our focus should be on giving people something that works and
they can use.  The process must provide a way to make sure issues like
this don't happen again, but when they do, provide a quick way to
react and resolve them.

We have code freeze, testing, staging and voting, and that involves a
lot of checks to surface issues before making a release.  And each
time something goes wrong, we add a check to make sure it doesn't
happen again.  So one task for 1.3.2 is improving dependency checks.

That process generally leads to higher quality releases, and part of
that is correlated to having a very lengthy release process.  Most
often that's a good thing, but when something like this slips through
our quality checks, the process must provide a way to quickly act and
respond to it.

Otherwise, we're serving the process, not the community.

Assaf