buildr-dev mailing list archives

From "Assaf Arkin" <ar...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: net-ssh, net-sftp and buildr
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2008 21:41:00 GMT
On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Shane Witbeck <shane@digitalsanctum.com> wrote:
> I'm attempting to update some extended buildr code to work with
> 1.3.1.1. The code in question was coded against 1.2.10 AND the older
> 1.x versions of net-ssh and net-sftp. The upgrade to buildr 1.3.1.1
> requires the 2.x versions of net-ssh and net-sftp but I'd like to
> stick with the 1.x versions for the old extended code until I have a
> chance to update for 2.x versions. Note that there were some major
> changes to the net-sftp which are not backward compatible.
>
> My question is: Is there a way to load the 2.x gem versions of net-ssh
> and net-sftp for buildr and load the older 1.x versions for a specific
> class? I've tried the following:

By the time the buildfile loads, Buildr already loaded Net::SSH from
the new version of the gem, you'll need a bit of work to make Ruby
forget about the class, loaded files, dependencies, etc.  Might be
more pain than gain.

> require 'rubygems'
> gem 'net-ssh', '=1.1.2'
> require 'net/ssh'
> require 'net/ssh/version'
> gem 'net-sftp', '=1.1.0'
> require 'net/sftp'
> require 'find'
>
> this results in something like....
>
> can't activate net-ssh (=1.1.2), already activated net-ssh-2.0.1
>

> Any suggestions that don't involve rewriting the 1.x dependent class?

Create your own version of Buildr, comment out any net-ssh dependency
you find in transport.rb, change the dependency in buildr.gemspec to
1.1.2, and rake install.

Assaf