buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Spiewak <djspie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Quick Start Documentation
Date Wed, 29 Jul 2009 15:26:55 GMT

> > I think we mention buildr --help somewhere in the document (or maybe it's
> in
> > the install guide).  I think that listing the available tasks would just
> add
> > extra noise though.  You were the one who wanted to trim things down!
>  :-)
> You've got me there :)
>
> What about mentioning "buildr -T"? I could imagine mentioning this as a
> tip in the section about custom tasks, because the natural question when
> reading about custom tasks would be "what tasks are already available,
> and what's left to me?"

Ok, I can see that fitting fairly nicely.  I'll add it when I get the
chance.

>  Well, I just noticed that right now (in your quickstart branch) there's
> again the explanation how archives (.zip) can be downloaded and that/how
> artifacts are extracted from the downloaded file. IIRC I had replaced
> this by a tip mentioning, that buildr provides several methods for
> retrieving artifacts. I'd prefer a general tip that buildr can do a lot
> more that what's described in the quickstart and refer to the
> appropriate documentation page.

I disagree, that's why I re-added the section you removed.  :-)  I think the
fact that Buildr can download and extract artifacts automagically from zip
files is really a huge selling point, particularly for people like me who
had always been skeptical about Maven because of the restricting nature of
its repositories.

We could add a quick line that mentions how powerful the artifact task is
and then links to the detailed docs.  That would cover the "artifact from
local jar" case, but I think we really need to leave the downloading zip
archive bit as it stands.

 Is it possible that I'm just looking at the wrong quickstart? What's the
> leading repo/branch?

I think you're probably on the right branch.  The current HEAD of the
quickstart development is at git://github.com/djspiewak/buildr.git /
quickstart.  Feel free to pull from this branch, make changes, etc.  Before
I merge back into trunk/, I'll grab any of your changes and take them along
with me.

Daniel