buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>
Subject Re: Native ant support in JRuby 1.5
Date Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:58:07 GMT
Hi again,

On Feb 19, 2010, at 2:39 PM, Rhett Sutphin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The JRuby team just announced that JRuby 1.5 is going to have built-
> in support for ruby-language access to ant tasks:
>
> http://www.engineyard.com/blog/2010/rake-and-ant-together-a-pick-it-n-stick-it-approach/
>
> I mention this because it will probably affect buildr in some way.
> But I also bring it up because the announcement might be a good
> place to mention that buildr and antwrap allow you to do some of
> this today with either MRI or JRuby.  Unfortunately, intensedebate
> is blocking me from signing up (it rejects my OpenID as invalid and
> I am not receiving an account validation message when I sign up the
> traditional way).
>
> I'll try again later, but if someone else wants to beat me to
> commenting, feel free.

Okay, so ... it turns out that you can comment without an
intensedebate account.  I went ahead and mentioned antwrap and buildr.

It is interesting to see how their (presumably independent) design for
rake/ant integration works.  It seems to be pretty similar to antwrap
except that their treatment of nested elements uses an implicit target
rather than an explicit one:

# In JRuby 1.5+
ant.path(:id => "project.class.path") do
   pathelement :location => "classes"
end

# In Antwrap
ant.path(:id => "project.class.path") do |a|
   a.pathelement :location => "classes"
end

Rhett