buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <alex.boisv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Improved Maven repository handling
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 05:28:16 GMT
On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Pepijn Van Eeckhoudt <
pepijn.vaneeckhoudt@luciad.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm investigating how I can make build a better behaved citizen when it
> comes to uploading stuff to a maven repository. Specifically I would like to
> improve the handling of snapshot uploads. Right now these don't seem to get
> any special treatment. Instead I would like to make buildr upload
> timestamped builds and update the maven-metadata.xml file.
> I've been looking at different solutions and currently have the following
> list of options:
> - Derive the logic from the Maven source code and implement a work-alike in
> Ruby
> - Integrate the Maven ant tasks
> - Investigate if ivy4r can be used to provide this functionality
>
> The ivy4r route turned out to be a dead end as ivy doesn't seem to handle
> maven-metadata on uploads. By default it doesn't upload a pom.xml either.
> That leaves me with the first two options. I would like to get some more
> seasoned developer's opinion on this before I really start developing this.
> What would the 'preferred' implementation be? Are there any plans on the
> table to tackle this already?

Hi Peijn,

There's no work underway for this at the moment so the path is clear :)

I personally would try to go with the Maven ant tasks since it's less code
to maintain but that would probably depend on how much glue and duct tape is
necessary for the integration.  Otherwise, a Ruby implementation would
probably fit in < 100 lines**  given that we already have building blocks
for repository, artifact, upload/download, etc.

thanks for stepping in,
alex

** naive guestimates are always free.