buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Rhett Sutphin <rh...@detailedbalance.net>
Subject Re: Idea 7x issues
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:16:40 GMT
Hi,

IDEA project file creation is indeed a slippery thing.  I use heavily
modified version of idea7x myself (on IDEA 8) and have avoided
upgrading to IDEA 9 partially because I don't want to deal with
updating that task to work with 9 (if any are needed -- I haven't
actually tried).

That said, I have been meaning to re-package my custom task as a gem.
It seems to me that this is a better way to deal with IDEA support
since none of the committers (AFAIK) use it.  I agree that a base
abstraction with output that would work with both 8 and 9 (at least)
would be nice.  Here are the features I have in my custom task (which
is called iidea) over idea7x:

1) Detects VCS automatically (subversion and git only) with manual
override
2) Automatically excludes all target and report directories from
indexing
3) Supports manual configuration of source and test paths for each
module
4) Supports low-level configuration of particular IML sections (by
building XML directly in the buildr project definition)
5) Provides a "clean" task
6) Includes all buildr subprojects (not just ones that are packaged)
but allows particular subprojects to be skipped using a project
attribute

All of those except for (4) should be possible using a base
abstraction.  I'll see what I can come up with, though it will be a
couple of weeks before I can really look at it.

FWIW, IDEA 8 still supports the file-based approach.  (It's what I'm
using with 8.1.4.)  I don't believe in committing IDE project files
(or anything else which is generatable) to VCS, so it works fine for
me and my team.  All the patches Alex brought up are minor changes to
the existing idea7x code, so they use the file-based approach.

Alex, BUILDR-367 and BUILDR-376 are both genuine issues which I've
fixed in my task.  BUILDR-377 uses a feature of IDEA I'm not familiar
with but which sounds useful.  I haven't reviewed any of the patches,
though.

Rhett