buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Charles Oliver Nutter <head...@headius.com>
Subject Re: JRuby AOT Compilation for All-in-One
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 21:07:50 GMT
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM, Antoine Toulme <antoine@lunar-ocean.com> wrote:
> For Buildr4OSGi, I would need to create my own distribution of Buildr that
> includes the Buildr4OSGi gem. Before long, you'll get a mess. It's still a
> valuable option imo.

You can still *use* RubyGems if you want, but Bundler would allow you
to only load if it you need to. "Typical" buildr usage wouldn't need
to go outside the base distro.

> I really thought AOT was helping. I think there was a way to build buildr as
> an executable jar or something - oh well, I forgot.

Precompiling is not a requirement for bundling everything into a
single jar, other than that you need a "main" entry point that Java
can see. You basically can just stuff all the .rb files into a jar and
they'll work like they're on the filesystem (modulo crazy __FILE__
path manipulation some people do).

- Charlie