buildr-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Boisvert <alex.boisv...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: NoClassDefFoundError : org/apache/buildr/JavaTestFilter in trunk
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2010 22:54:54 GMT
On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM, Alex Boisvert <alex.boisvert@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 2:46 PM, Daniel Spiewak <djspiewak@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I seem to be having problems resolving the JavaTestFilter class in trunk
>> when running Buildr against a Specs-using Scala project.  It worked fine
>> before I merged the latest from trunk into my fork, and there are no
>> problems under JRuby (just MRI).  Has anyone else seen/seeing this or is
>> it
>> an issue which is peculiar to my system?
>>

> It appears to be another issue related to RJB bootstrap, not that you've
> removed Java.load from version_str.   I think RJB blacklists the package
> "scala." since it's not found the first time it looks for it.
>
> I think we're trying to be too smart with the Scala detection, considering
> the limitations of RJB.
>
> Having spent too much time on this already, I think we should remove
> Scala.version_str entirely (well, for backward compatibility we could
> redirect to Scala.version) and Scala.version should:
>
> 1) check if SCALA_HOME is defined, if so use the value from
> library.properties,
>
> 2) check if build setting 'scala.version' is defined, if so return it
>
> 3) or else, return Scala.DEFAULT_VERSION
>
> This would fix another issue where Scala.version could potentially return a
> version different from the one pointed by SCALA_HOME.
>
> What do you think?

Sorry... changed my mind.

I think it should be:

1) check if build setting 'scala.version' is defined, if so return it.

2) check if SCALA_HOME is defined, if so use the value from
library.properties,

3) or else, return Scala.DEFAULT_VERSION

I think the project's 'scala.version' should override SCALA_HOME.   As an
optimization, if both 'scala.home' and SCALA_HOME agree on the version, we
could use artifacts from SCALA_HOME instead of downloading them from a
remote repo.

alex