buildr-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Boisvert" <boisv...@intalio.com>
Subject Re: is it possible to have nailgun for cruby?
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:44:14 GMT
On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Assaf Arkin <arkin@intalio.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Alex Boisvert <boisvert@intalio.com>
> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 5:07 AM, Ittay Dror <ittay.dror@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I'd appreciate any reference to how I can get nailgun-like functionality
> in
> >> Buildr under cruby.
> >

> > This may be a crazy idea, but how about doing a fork() of the Buildr
> process
> > after the Buildfile has been loaded but before any Rake tasks are
> > triggered?    The parent would remains available to be fork()'ed again
> and
> > the child would go on with the actual build.
>
> no fork on windows :-(

A cross-platform alternative would be to clone() all tasks before they are
triggered.

This would require cloned tasks to provide the same dependency checking as
the original.  In order words, tasks would need to be lazy about doing any
kind of dependency checks and task wiring.  Some tasks would probably need
to handle deep-cloning.

I think the laziness part is good design and half-expected of tasks today
but it's not a formal requirement and would certainly many existing
tasks.

All this to say that it doesn't come without additional complexity.

alex