bval-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@gmail.com>
Subject Urgent problem with PathImpl
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 22:08:46 GMT
Hi guys,
  I believe I have found a serious issue.  In section 4.2, the structure of a set of Path.Nodes
is described almost as a footnote to the section describing ConstraintViolation.  On rereading
this section my interpretation is that bval-jsr303 currently implements association traversals
precisely backward to the letter of the specification.  I am quite shocked that we can pass
the TCK like this, but hopefully this means the TCK tests are simply string-based, since the
alternative situation would be that the RI, which presumably passes the TCK, is flawed in
a similar way to the Apache implementation.  I'd also be glad to be educated on why I am mistaken.
 My issue is this:

The spec says that a constraint on the fourth author (i.e. "authors[3]") would be represented
by a not-in-iterable "authors" node followed by a nameless node with index 3.  PathImpl would
represent this as a single "authors" node with index 3.

Likewise, the spec says that a constraint on the first author's company ("authors[0].company")
would be represented by a not-in-iterable "authors" node followed by a "company" node with
index 0.  PathImpl represents this as an "authors" node with index 3, followed by a not-in-iterable
"company" node.

I wholeheartedly believe I have discovered a bona fide problem here and will begin working
to fix it.  Unless I am looking at the wrong specification I can't imagine how I could be
mistaken here, but please review and let me know if I am in fact mistaken.

Thanks,
Matt