cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Kelven Yang <kelven.y...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: question about snapshots and Windows Volume Shadow Copy
Date Mon, 07 Oct 2013 18:09:35 GMT

On 10/7/13 3:37 AM, "Len Bellemore" <Len.Bellemore@ControlCircle.com>
wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I've been asked if Cloudstack snapshots integrate in any way with Windows
>Volume Shadow Copy.  I guess the question is really about what type of
>"backup" does cloudstack actually provide. Is it only crash consistent?

It is only crash consistent. But with VMware, if guest OS (Windows server)
has VSS enabled and VMware tools is installed in the guest OSS. Quiesce
event will be notified to applications that are running in the guest
before snapshot is taken.

>I know with 4.2 we have VMWare snapshot support, which is a really great
>feature addition, but with XenServer, what are my options?

Not sure about XenServer, I think it is crash consistent only