cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Andrija Panic <andrija.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: kvm live volume migration
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2019 13:10:20 GMT
Cheers Melanie,

glad to hear that it works for you :)

So, as a test, I would say to make sure to test if things like following
are working fine: creating volume snapshots, stop/start VM, stop VM and
then migrated to another storage - i.e. any operations that include
reading/modifying that migrated volume (the one on the new storage) - if no
failures, I would expect that DB is happy with the changes you made (also,
make sure that the source volume on OLD storage is actually deleted after
the migration you've done previously !!!)

As mentioned, you MAYBE need to check the usage DB - to see if the pool_id
is mentioned anywhere (though I expect it's not)

will ping this .docx in a separate email

Cheers

On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 at 13:01, Melanie Desaive <m.desaive@heinlein-support.de>
wrote:

> [...]
> > didn't provide RBD/Ceph support, only in paid RHEV - won't comment on
> > this
> > lousy behaviour...)
> >
> > Afaik, for KVM specifically, no pooling of volumes' location, and you
> > would
> > need to update DB (pay attention also to usage records if that is of
> > your
> > interest)
> > You'll need to test this kind of migration and DB schema thoroughly
> > (including changing disk offerings and such in DB, in case your
> > source/destination storage solution have different Storage TAGs in
> > ACS)
> >
> > I'm trying to stay away from any clustered file systems, 'cause when
> > they
> > break, they break bad...so can't comment there.
> > You are using those as preSetup in KVM/CloudStack I guess - if it
> > works,
> > then all good.
> > But...move on I suggest, if possible :)
> >
> > Best
> > Andrija
> >
> > On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 13:16, Melanie Desaive <
> > m.desaive@heinlein-support.de>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Andrija,
> > >
> > > thank you so much for your detailled explanation! Looks like the my
> > > problem can be solved. :)
> > >
> > > To summarize the information you provided:
> > >
> > > As long as CloudStack does not support volume live migration I
> > > could be
> > > using
> > >
> > > virsh with --copy-storage --xml.
> > >
> > > BUT: CentOS7 is lacking necessary features! Bad luck. I started out
> > > with CentOS7 as Disto.
> > >
> > > You suggest, that it could be worth trying the qemu/libvirt
> > > packages
> > > from the oVirt repository. I will look into this now.
> > >
> > > But if that gets complicated: Cloudstack documentation lists
> > > CentOS7
> > > and Ubuntu 14.04 as supported Distros. Are there other not
> > > officially
> > > supported Distros/Version I could be using? I wanted to avoid the
> > > quite
> > > outdated Ubuntu 14.04 and did for that reason decide towards
> > > CentOS7.
> > >
> > > And another general question: How is CloudStack getting along with
> > > the
> > > Volumes of its VMs changing the storage repository without beeing
> > > informed about it. Does it get this information through polling, or
> > > do
> > > I have to manipulate the database?
> > >
> > > And to make things clearer: At the moment I am using storage
> > > attached
> > > through Gibrechannel using clustered LVM logic. Could also be
> > > changing
> > > to GFS2 on cLVM. Never heard anyone mentioning such a setup by now.
> > > Am
> > > I the only one running KVM on a proprietary storage system over
> > > Fibrechannel, are there limitation/problems to be expected from

SF,

Green <
host KVM OS it
via virsh, the