cloudstack-users mailing list archives

From Melanie Desaive <m.desa...@heinlein-support.de>
Subject Re: kvm live volume migration
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2019 11:00:36 GMT
Hi Andrija,

thank you so much for your support.

It worked perfectly.

I used the oVirt 4.3 Repository:
	yum install
https://resources.ovirt.org/pub/yum-repo/ovirt-release43.rpm

And limited the repo to the libvirt and qemu packages:
	includepkgs=qemu-* libvirt-*

I had some issues with the configuration of my 2nd Storage NFS and had
to enable rpc.statd on the nfs server, otherwise I was not able to
mount ISO images from 2nd storage. With the packages from CentOS-Base
this was no problem.

After changing to the oVirt packages, I was able to online migrate a
volume between two storage repositories using the "virsh --copy-
storage-all --xml" mechanism.

Afterwards I updated the CloudStack database setting pool_id in volumes
to the new storage for the migrated volume and everyting looked
perfectly.

I am still unsure how far to use this "hack" in production, but I feel
reassured, that I do now have the opportunity to use this feature for
urgend cases where no VM downtime is possible for a storage migration.

If there is interest I can offer to translate my notes to english to
provide them to others with the same need.

And @Andrija, you mentioned a "detailed step-by-step .docx guide".. I
would really be interested, maybe theres further information I missed.
I would really like you to forward this to me.

Greetings,

Melanie

Am Mittwoch, den 25.09.2019, 13:51 +0200 schrieb Andrija Panic:
> [...]
> > > storage-
> > > all
> > > --xml" in short
> > >
> > > Longer explanation:
> > > Steps:
> > > You create new volumes on the destination storage (SolidFire in
> > > this
> > > case),
> > > set QoS etc - simply prepare the destination volumes (empty
> > > volumes
> > > atm).
> > > On source host/VM, dump VM XML, edit XML, change disk section to
> > > point to
> > > new volume path, protocol, etc - and also the IP address for the
> > > VNC
> > > (cloudstack requirement), save XMLT
> > > Then you do "virsh with --copy-storage-all --xml. myEditedVM.xml
> > > ..."
> > > stuff
> > > that does the job.
> > > Then NBD driver will be used to copy blocks from the source
> > > volumes
> > > to the
> > > destination volumes while that virsh command is working...
> > > (here's my
> > > demo,
> > > in details..
> > >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo8BuHBnVgg&list=PLEr0fbgkyLKyiPnNzPz7XDjxnmQNxjJWT&index=5&t=2s
> > > )
> > >
> > > This is yet to be extended/coded to support NFS-->NFS or CEPH
> > > -->CEPH
> > > or
> > > CEPH/NFS-->CEPH/NFS... should not be that much work, the logic is
> > > there
> > > (bit part of the code)
> > > Also, starting from 4.12, you can actually  (I believe using
> > > identical
> > > logic) migrate only ROOT volume that are on the LOCAL storage
> > > (local
> > > disks)
> > > to another host/local storage - but DATA disks are not supported.
> > >
> > > Now...imagine the feature is there - if using CentOS7, our
> > > friends at
> > > RedHat have removed support for actually using live storage
> > > migration
> > > (unless you are paying for RHEV - but it does work fine on
> > > CentOS6,
> > > and
> > > Ubuntu 14.04+
> > >
> > > I recall "we" had to use qemu/libvirt from the "oVirt" repo which
> > > DOES
> > > (DID) support storage live migration (normal EV packages from the
> > > Special
> > > Interest Group (2.12 tested) - did NOT include this...)
> > >
> > > I can send you step-by-step .docx guide for manually mimicking
> > > what
> > > is done
> > > (in SolidFire, but identical logic for other storages) - but not
> > > sure
> > > if
> > > that still helps you...
> > >

> > > Andrija
> > >
> > > On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 10:51, Melanie Desaive <

KVM OS it
mechanism
Vmware.
KVM