commons-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [compress] Need Feedback for COMPRESS-479
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2019 11:08:05 GMT
On 2019-08-13, Matt Sicker wrote:

> The enum makes sense. Are there any feasible ways to, say, configure
> some sort of handler class that can implement logic around unknown
> fields?

Not really. The only extension point here currently is plugging in your
own implementations of ZipExtraField via the static
ExtraFieldUtils.register - which could use some ServiceLoader magic one
day :-)

IIUC you and Gary are both saying the same thing. The enum values are
sensible defaults but it would be good to provide a way to do the same
things with custom code (callbacks or interface implementations).

It should be possible to split ExtraFieldParsingMode into a strategy
pattern interface implemented by the enum providing default
implementations. This may also reduce some other implementation quirks
(I'm not too happy with the current exception handler inside
mergeExtraFields).

Thanks!

        Stefan