commons-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Spoor <apa...@icemanx.nl>
Subject [IO] Missing Reader / Writer implementations
Date Thu, 01 Aug 2019 10:39:05 GMT
Hi,

I noticed that a lot of InputStream / OutputStream implementations do
not have a matching Reader / Writer implementation. Some would really be
useful.

I've made an overview of classes that could be added:
* AutoCloseReader
* BrokenReader
* CloseShieldReader
* ClosedReader
* CountingReader
* DemuxReader
* InfiniteCircularReader
* ObservableReader
* TaggedReader
* TeeReader
* UnixLineEndingReader
* WindowsLineEndingReader

* AppendableWriter
* BrokenWriter
* CloseShieldWriter
* ClosedWriter
* CountingWriter
* DeferredFileWriter
* DemuxWriter
* TaggedWriter
* TeeWriter
* ThresholdingWriter

I am willing to write the following (based on the InputStream
implementations), if needed. I have signed the ICLA, have a JIRA account
(username Spoor) and a GitHub account (username robtimus):

* AutoCloseReader
* BrokenReader
* CloseShieldReader
* ClosedReader
* CountingReader
* TaggedReader
* TeeReader

* AppendableWriter
* BrokenWriter
* CloseShieldWriter
* ClosedWriter
* CountingWriter
* TaggedWriter
* TeeWriter

In addition, if AppendableWriter is added, I think there should be a
method added to IOUtils, to prevent having to create an AppendableWriter
for an object that's already a Writer:

     public static Writer writer(final Appendable appendable) {
         if (appendable == null) {
             throw new NullPointerException();
         }
         return appendable instanceof Writer ?
                 (Writer) appendable : new AppendableWriter(appendable);
     }

Kind regards,

Rob