db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalam...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_DATA ate my data file
Date Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:53:57 GMT
Tim Troup wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was in the process of importing a large tab delimited data file  into
> a table using SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_IMPORT_DATA from the ij command  line.
> The load was taking a very long time and I thought perhaps the  process
> had stalled/hung so I terminated the process. When I checked  the input
> data file after the process terminated it was now 0KB and  contained no
> data.
>
> How should such a process be terminated such that the data is not
> corrupted in this manner?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

Hi Tim,

sorry to hear that you lost the input data file,  I briefly looked at
the import code,  import does not modify the input data file. It just
reads the data file  using FileInputStream.  Considering you killed
the process , it can not be an issue with some cleanup bug.  May be it
something else on your system, that corrupted the file.

you should be able to kill the process during an import without any
issues,  data inserted into the table will be rolled back.

If you find import is indeed corrupting the file , then it is bug.

Thanks
-suresh