db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: ERROR 08001:No suitable driver
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:09:38 GMT
Dunk, Michael (Mike) wrote:
> When using IJ to connect to a database, the  “*/08001:No suitable
> driver/*” message was displayed. How can I trouble-shoot this? From the
> documentation online I can’t find out what to do.

Hi Mike,

Normally this error is caused by an incorrect classpath (the driver is
not in it) or by an incorrect JDBC connection URL.

> What can be done to correct this error? Is there anywhere I can download
> the driver from, should I try Cloudscape, Derby or IBM WebSphere to get
> the driver?

Just to clear things up, what kind of database do you have?
 From the path below, it looks like Cloudscape, but it would be nice if
you could confirm. I know we have some experience Cloudscape users in
the community, so I guess you'll get a proper answer soon.

> C:\Program Files\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\derby\bin\embedded>ij
>
> ij version 10.1
>
> ij> connect 'jdbc:db2j:c:\LabFiles60\CloudscapeDB\BANKDB;create=true';
>
> ERROR 08001: No suitable driver
>

> When I changed “db2j” to “derby” IJ just hung!

Derby uses "jdbc:derby:" as URL prefix, and this would be the correct
URL for a Derby database. You specify the client driver, used to connect
to a Derby network server, by prepending //hostname[:port]/ to the
database name. With the embedded driver, you just specify the database
name/path (relative or absolute).

Not an answer to you specific question, but some more info :)

--
Kristian