db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Amir Michail" <amich...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: strange out of memory exception
Date Fri, 05 Jan 2007 14:41:49 GMT
On 1/4/07, Jose de Castro <jose.decastro@voxeo.com> wrote:
> The best balance of performance and reliability will come from using a
> database connection pool.
>
> Here are a couple of good ones:
>
> DBCP - http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/
> c3p0 - http://www.mchange.com/projects/c3p0/index.html

I tried using the tomcat support for this, but I get this exception:

javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context

Here's my context.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Context>
   <Resource name="jdbc/sampleDB" auth="Container"
       type="javax.sql.DataSource"
       username="..." password="..."
       driverClassName="org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver"
       url="jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/myDB"
       maxActive="8"    />
</Context>

Here's the connection code:

		try {
			InitialContext initCtx = new InitialContext();
			Context envCtx=(Context)initCtx.lookup("java:comp/env");
			DataSource ds = (DataSource)envCtx.lookup("jdbc/sampleDB"); // fails
			try {
				connection = ds.getConnection();
			} catch (SQLException e) {
				e.printStackTrace();