db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John English <john.fore...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Inserting control characters in SQL
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:12:02 GMT
On 17/03/2011 12:35, Bruce Wen wrote:
> To convert an int to a char, just use the following statement:
>
> char c = (char) 134;
>
> You can cast integer to char directly. Is this what you need?

No. I have a file containing SQL/DDL to create a bunch of tables for my
app and initialise them, which I run using IJ. I want to be able to say
something like:

    INSERT INTO foo VALUES('This','That','Foo\bBar');

but I can't. I've found a workaround. I basically wrote my own IJ which
includes an external function "ch()" so now I can say this:

    INSERT INTO foo VALUES('This','That','Foo' || ch(8) || 'Bar');

I'm still amazed there isn't a built-in function for this.

  John English | My old University of Brighton home page is still here: