db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reclaim unused space, but how exactly?
Date Sun, 06 Mar 2016 20:42:42 GMT
> unstructured data. These data will to a large extent (but perhaps not
> completely) be replaced by structured data (in some user defined data type) in
> another column. This will reduce the space requirements considerably for each
> particular row.

Hi Karl, thanks for the follow-up.

As Myrna suggested, I wonder if it might be worth using two separate tables here.

First, insert the unstructured data into the first table.

Later, when the conversion to the structured form occurs, insert the
row (in its structured form) into the second table, and simultaneously
delete the row from the first table.

Over time, I'd expect Derby to successfully re-use the space in the first
table, and I'd expect Derby to successfully store the rows in the
second table in a compact way.

bryan