db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SQLDataException when updating rows (Vert.x)
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2016 16:36:20 GMT
> I am not completely sure if this problem is to do with Vert.x and its JDBC wrappers or
Derby 10.12.1.1.

Me either.

> Derby throws an error while trying to interrogate the result set for updated rows:
>

> Caused by: ERROR 22018: Invalid character string format for type long.

> at org.apache.derby.iapi.types.SQLChar.getLong(SQLChar.java:447)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.UpdateResultSet.collectAffectedRows(UpdateResultSet.java:534)
> at org.apache.derby.impl.sql.execute.UpdateResultSet.open(UpdateResultSet.java:272)

Well, that code in collectAffectedRows is new with Derby 10.12 (DERBY-6742),
so you certainly might have found a new bug in Derby.

Is it possible for you to run your program against Derby 10.11?
If so, does the problem disappear (that would be a strong clue)?

> What's happening seems to be an inconsistent expectation about what is in the result
set.

> It addresses the wrong column

Your analysis is very interesting, and I think you have explained the
behavior quite plausibly.

Is there any chance that you can construct a standalone test case
that demonstrates this behavior?

Ideally, a Minimal Complete Verifiable Example (http://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve)
would be wonderful, but anything you can do to help simplify the reproduction
of the problem will go a long ways to those developers trying to
track down and fix it.

Possibly, running your test case with statement logging and query plans
enabled (http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PerformanceDiagnosisTips) will
give you some clues about how to construct a simpler reproduction case.

At the very least, please log a bug against Derby in the issue tracker
(http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html) with as much
information as you can provide.

thanks,

bryan