db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Would it be beneficial to merge the derby-user and derby-dev mailing lists?
Date Sat, 18 Jun 2016 16:11:36 GMT

Hi all,

It is not 100% clear to me why we have separate 'derby-user' and 'derby-dev'
mailing lists. On our web site, http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_mail.html,
we describe the two lists as follows:

	derby-user: For discussions about how to use Derby.

	derby-dev: For discussions about development tasks, such as bug fixes, proposed code changes,
etc.

This is a clear distinction, but I'm not sure it is very beneficial
to have such a distinction.

In particular, I worry that it divides the Derby community into
"users" and "developers", and I think it might be more in the spirit
of Open Source to try to eliminate such distinctions, and encourage
everyone to think of themselves as simply a member of the Derby community.

I'd also like to encourage more people to actively contribute to
Derby development. There are not as many active Derby developers as
there once were, but I'm hopeful we can find more people who are
interested in contributing ideas, techniques, documentation, test
cases, and code to Derby.

What is your reaction? Do you find it beneficial to maintain
the two separate mailing lists? Or do you think it would be
an improvement to have only a single mailing list?

thanks,

bryan