db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John English <john.fore...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating 2 derby tables
Date Mon, 22 May 2017 14:54:07 GMT
On 21/05/2017 21:18, Bob M wrote:
> I keep feeling that there is something I am not understanding about updating
> two different tables in the same dbase

Some reasons an update might fail, off the top of my head:
1) constraint violation in the data inserted into the table (e.g.
primary key or check constraint error)
2) constraint violation in a dependent table (e.g. foreign key
constraint error)
3) timeout due to the table being locked by another query
4) rollback of the transaction enclosing the update due to an error
later in the transaction
5) error in a trigger fired by the update, which rolls back the update
(another version of case 4, but an easy one to overlook)

Unfortunately, although you've posted a lot of information, it's been
either inaccurate or missing vital details, so it's hard to know what to
advise.
--
John English