db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sunsetting support for Java 8
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2017 22:53:29 GMT
On 6/22/17 5:12 AM, Peter Ondruška wrote:
> Dear Rick,
>
> well, nice to know and I do not see a reason to object but does
> anybody have ideas what Java 9 adoption will look like(?).
Thanks for that feedback, Peter. I don't have any model for predicting
the Java 9 adoption rate other than a comparison with the adoption rate
for Java 8:
https://plumbr.eu/blog/java/java-version-and-vendor-data-analyzed-2016-edition
Adoption tends to ramp up after the first maintenance release.

Project jigsaw (the modular JVM) is the driving feature of Java 9. I
anticipate that the jigsaw JVM will be welcomed by people developing
apps for Mac OSX, since jigsaw promises to reduce the size of those app
bundles.

Just my guess, though.

Thanks,
-Rick