db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Oskar Z <oska...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Intermittent Derby Replication issue
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2018 15:27:03 GMT
Thank Rick for the comment.

Since yesterday, we have changed from a FREEZE call to using SHUTDOWN URL call, and also performed
a full upgrade of the actual database by connecting to the database with upgrade=true and
now it seems to work fine!

We always used shutdown before, but for some reason it stopped working when we moved to 10.14.2.0
from 10.8.3.3. But as we found out yesterday, it required a full upgrade of the Database as
well, so once we went back to shutdown mechanism and performed full upgrade of the database,
looks like everything is back to normal.

Regards,

Oskar Zinger

> On Nov 13, 2018, at 9:56 AM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Geraldine,
>
> I have responded briefly on DERBY-7017. Hopefully, active users of Derby replication
can provide more insight.

> -Rick
>
> On 11/12/18 8:23 AM, Geraldine McCormack wrote:
>> Hi - I am running Apache Derby 10.14 on Linux and I intermittently (yet frequently)
see an issue when trying to start derby replication:

>> Attempt 1: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XRE05, SQLERRMC: The log files on the master
and slave are not in synch for replicated database 'ImpactDB'. The master log instant is
       67:619207, whereas the slave log instant is 67:620032. This is fatal for replication
- replication will be stopped.

>> Attempt 2: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XRE05, SQLERRMC: The log files on the master
and slave are not in synch for replicated database 'ImpactDB'. The master log instant is
       67:619207, whereas the slave log instant is 67:619207. This is fatal for replication
- replication will be stopped.

>> Attempt 3: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XRE05, SQLERRMC: The log files on the master
and slave are not in synch for replicated database 'ImpactDB'. The master log instant is
       67:619207, whereas the slave log instant is 67:620406. This is fatal for replication
- replication will be stopped.

>> Attempt 4: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XRE05, SQLERRMC: The log files on the master
and slave are not in synch for replicated database 'ImpactDB'. The master log instant is
       67:619207, whereas the slave log instant is 67:620780. This is fatal for replication
- replication will be stopped.

>> Before starting the slave, I freeze the master database. I ensure that no connections
are made to the master and that all existing connections are closed. I wait for the disk to
flush and then zip the derby files and copy to the slave host. I then start the slave (startSlave=true)
followed by the master (startMaster=true).

>> As you see each time, the slave log record number gets higher and higher. Yet, the
master log record does not change as no change is made to the DB.

>> When I look at the files on disk in the log and seg0 directories, they are the same.
>>
>> I turn on trace level logging for derby and I do not see any unexpected connections
or SQL run during the replication attempt. Indeed, given the log record for the master stays
unchanged it can be seen that nothing is changed in the database. The *.trace files show no
activity between the FREEZE call and that start call.