db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Geraldine McCormack" <GERAL...@ie.ibm.com>
Subject Intermittent Derby Replication issue
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2018 16:23:14 GMT
Hi - I am running Apache Derby 10.14 on Linux and I intermittently (yet
frequently) see an issue when trying to start derby replication:

Attempt 1: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XRE05, SQLERRMC: The log files on
the master and slave are not in synch for replicated database 'ImpactDB'.
The master log instant is 67:619207, whereas the slave log instant is
67:620032. This is fatal for replication - replication will be stopped.

Attempt 2: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XRE05, SQLERRMC: The log files on
the master and slave are not in synch for replicated database 'ImpactDB'.
The master log instant is 67:619207, whereas the slave log instant is
67:619207. This is fatal for replication - replication will be stopped.

Attempt 3: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XRE05, SQLERRMC: The log files on
the master and slave are not in synch for replicated database 'ImpactDB'.
The master log instant is 67:619207, whereas the slave log instant is
67:620406. This is fatal for replication - replication will be stopped.

Attempt 4: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XRE05, SQLERRMC: The log files on
the master and slave are not in synch for replicated database 'ImpactDB'.
The master log instant is 67:619207, whereas the slave log instant is
67:620780. This is fatal for replication - replication will be stopped.

Before starting the slave, I freeze the master database. I ensure that no
connections are made to the master and that all existing connections are
closed. I wait for the disk to flush and then zip the derby files and copy
to the slave host. I then start the slave (startSlave=true) followed by
the master (startMaster=true).

As you see each time, the slave log record number gets higher and higher.
Yet, the master log record does not change as no change is made to the DB.

When I look at the files on disk in the log and seg0 directories, they are
the same.

I turn on trace level logging for derby and I do not see any unexpected
connections or SQL run during the replication attempt. Indeed, given the
log record for the master stays unchanged it can be seen that nothing is
changed in the database. The *.trace files show no activity between the
FREEZE call and that start call.

Please advise how to proceed.

Kind Regards,
Geraldine.