db-derby-user mailing list archives

From David Gowdy <recei...@gowdygroup.net>
Subject Re: How to migrate a Derby database?
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2020 15:37:43 GMT
There were a couple of factors related to this initial post. First, was
that I'd encountered a somewhat minor problem with an application that
I've been using for a bit more than 15 years without any prior problem.
Second, I do some work with relational databases and thought I should
know how to do such things with Derby.

The minor problem was a failure to allow insertion of a specific new row
into a table.  Based on knowledge of what was being shown to be in the
database this should have worked fine.  Other insertions were also
working as expected.  Therefore, I deduced that a plausible explanation
would be some kind of corruption that may have crept into the underlying
files used to store the data. This could have happened anytime but based
on the specific elements involved I thought it likely to be something
that happened long ago.

Therefore, my idea was to want to recover as much of the data as
possible and then create a new database using that data.  I determined
that when it came to your suggestions 2i was the only one that fit this
criteria.  In that, this produces new database files that are completely
independent from the original ones. Fortunately, my archives did have a
text file that contained the SQL for creating the tables.  I haven't
used the resulting database much yet but I was able to insert the row
that previously failed and have no reason to think there is any problem.

When compared to the MySQL/phpMyAdmin export/import technique this one
is NOT quite as simple.  On the other hand ending up with the data in
.csv format could be considered more desirable for generalized
compatibility reasons than the SQL format used for MySQL.

Would be grateful to learn about any flaws in my assessment of this
situation and many thanks for the help.

ajax ...